Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Yes we do have other children

Emily and Maggie take up so much of my time that it may seem like they are the only kids we have. But of course there are more. Today's entry deals with the two college students.
Daniel is in his third year at GVSU. Katie is in her second at Lawrence Tech. This semester, both of them have seemed to hit crisis mode in the 'What do I want to be when I grow up?' department.

Through a casual conversation with Daniel I discovered that he has not registered for classes this semester. He doesn't want to continue with engineering, but doesn't know what else to do. I mentioned it to Rick, who proceeded to call Daniel up and read him the riot act.

Similarly, Katie was struggling to fill her schedule and still be able to keep her part time job. She was also trying to decide if she should continue with the architecture program, switch to interior architecture, or go in a different direction all together.

It's so hard to give advice while letting them both make their own decisions. How can I help them decide what they want to do with the rest of their lives? I'm not even sure I know what I want to do with the rest of mine yet! And Rick is really pushing Daniel to at least stay in school so he doesn't wind up regretting it later, not to mention being able to stay on our health insurance.

Do I hold them by the hand? Or let them sink or swim on their own?

No comments: