Sunday, February 10, 2008

Guilty Pleasure

I'm a busy person. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself, just stating the facts. But I do have a guilty pleasure that I need to share- kiddy lit. I'm hooked on good books for kids. Those who know me well know I have a freakish obsession with Laura Ingalls Wilder that started back in the 3rd grade. I even dragged Emily and our friends Patty and Abby to the Ozark home of Laura and Almanzo on our first dance trip to Branson. (Ok, they came willingly). I read all the Narnia books as a kids, and again as an adult. I've devoured all the Harry Potter books.

When Emily recommended a series based on Greek Mythology in the modern world I had to check it out. I read The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan yesterday.

Yes, yesterday. I did have to finish the last couple chapters this morning, but the bulk of the 375 pages was yesterday. Which is why my poor husband cringes when he sees me pick up a new book.


Anyway, if you are like me and appreciate good books for kids that may actually help them get excited about that mythology unit in middle school, you should check them out. I'm going to start book 2 today - The Sea of Monsters.

Don't tell Rick.






2 comments:

kategrizz said...

Dang - I knew I liked you!! I have read LOTS of kiddie lit - especially as my kids are in middle and high school! Try "Peter and the Starcatchers" and "Peter and the Shadow Thieves" - they are co authored by Dave Barry- and they tell the backstory on Peter Pan - AWESOME!

Amy said...

Thanks Kate! Will have to have Em check those out, too. She's just started the Molly Moon series, so will be busy for a couple days anyway. :)